Home Resistance News Activism Report and video from Stockholm

Report and video from Stockholm


ACTIVISM. On Saturday the 10th March, Stockholm got a large dose of National Socialism. Below follows a report from Nest correspondent Markus Larsson.

The first stop of the day was Östermalm Square at about 11.30. The weather was cool, and relatively few people were out and about.

The standard bearers took up positions outside the Åhléns department store, holding a new banner with the Nordic Resistance Movement’s election slogan: “We Are the People!”

Less than five minutes later, the first police car showed up. A policeman came over to Nest Leader Anders Rydberg and introduced himself, saying he was responsible for the police’s activities on the day. He said he wanted everything to go smoothly and that we would be able to exercise our freedom of speech unhindered.

After 45 minutes at Östermalm Square, it was time to switch location. The next stop was Hötorget Square. There were more crowds there, along with the day’s first reds. A small group from the “Young Left” stood nearby, hanging about on the other side of the street. One of them, a woman wearing a pink fur jacket, was holding a little megaphone under her arm. A suspicious onlooker might conclude they were planning to prevent our leaflet distribution by creating a disturbance…

More and more people joined the reds’ little group. When there were just under ten of them, they unfurled a banner that read, “No fascists on our streets”. Clearly it had escaped the Young Left’s attention that the Nordic Resistance Movement are National Socialists, not fascists. They also took the opportunity to hand out leaflets to passers-by, but it seemed not as many people were interested in their message.

The police were now considerably more numerous than before, and surprisingly they decided to drive the group from the Young Left away from the square. This left us to finish our leafleting in Hötorget in peace, before Nest Leader Rydberg decided it was time to move on again, this time to Sergel’s Square.

Once we got there everything was calm at first, apart from a group of Hare Krishnas who were singing and dancing by the entrance to the tube. There was also a minor row between a pair of gypsies and someone who appeared to be a tramp. Apparently both parties deemed themselves to be the rightful owner of a rubbish bag full of tin cans.

After ten minutes at Sergel’s Square, the Young Left group came back. At first they wanted to set up near us, but after speaking with the police they moved to the bottom of the steps, on the square itself. The reds weren’t the only group in the vicinity, however. There were others lurking out of sight that we’d soon become aware of…

Farther down the street an altercation had arisen between an activist and an aggressive African man. It resulted in the undercover police running out and declaring they would arrest the activist for assault. In a show of civil disobedience against the unjust arrest, members of the Nordic Resistance Movement surrounded the activist to stop the police from getting to him. But the police decided to use violence to arrest him, which led to seven people being detained.

As soon as the police attacked the Resistance Movement, we began to hear the sound of chanting drawing closer. The reds that had been standing around saw their opportunity to advance. A group holding a “Queers against Borders” banner got closest, but they were quickly pushed back by the police, who also hit their legs a few times with their batons. Meanwhile more and more people gathered at the bottom of the steps. The vast majority of them seemed to be normal people who wanted to see what was happening, but there were also a few dozen reds intent on making a racket.

The Resistance members who hadn’t been detained turned the banner towards the square so everyone could see who really represents the people. Onlookers heard slogans chanted from all sides, from the reds and the Resistance Movement. The stalemate went on for about 45 minutes, before the Nordic Resistance Movement came to an arrangement with the police. They agreed to lift the barriers to the tube station so we could return to our rendezvous point, and we took our leave.

Video (with English subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxU-5Pp75GY